The V. Schmidt factory was located in Copenhagen and operated from the middle of the 19th century to circa 1895. This rare instrument dates to circa 1845, making it the oldest currently in our collection. The shape clearly shows the evolution of early valved tubas from the shape used for ophicleides to that of brass instruments with air tight valves. The type of piston valves used on this instrument is known as “Berliner Pumpen,” which translates roughly to Berlin style piston valves. During the middle of the 19th century, the French maker Francois Perinet made improvements to the design of the piston valve and his design is still used today.
We are delighted to have this rare, early example of a five piston valve tuba in our collection. VS.
The five valves of this instrument are tuned as follows: 1 – two half steps, 2 – one half step, 3 – three half steps, 4 – one flat half step, 5 – 7 half steps. This resembles the five valve tuning that was popular in France at the beginning of the 20th century, with the exception that this tuba has the more modern third valve tuning of 3 half steps.
Tag #: 01485
|Bell Diameter||Bore Size||Height|
“V. Schmidt / Kyobenhavn” on bell.